How to master the casserole
Follow this quick 5 step guide to master the casserole.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).Place beef in a large snap lock bag or dish, add a drizzle of oil, season and mix well.
2. Heat a large oven proof casserole dish over a medium-high heat. Brown the beef in 2 or 3 batches, setting the beef aside on a plate.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and add in another drizzle of oil. Add in vegetables of your choice such as carrots, onion and celery, cook stirring for 4-5 minutes.
4. Sprinkle some flour to your casserole and stir until vegetables are coated.Gradually pour in your stock stirring well. Return beef to the pan with any juices and add a can of diced tomatoes and Worecesterhire sauce, stirring until the mixture boils.
5. Cover casserole dish, place in the oven and cook until beef is very tender (2-2½ hours), stirring occasionaly, adding extra stock or water if necessary. Remove from oven, stir in baby spinach leaves and set aside covered for 2 minutes before serving.